To us humans, there’s nothing as frustrating as knowing we’re harbouring vermin in our homes. Mice and rats, especially, are a bane to households as they not only destroy or gnaw into things, but can also carry disease-causing pathogens. Therefore, it makes sense to enlist the help of Pesti Pest Control, for reliable mice and rat control services in Perth.
All about mice and rats
Having mice and or rats in your home is a nightmarish situation. They are nothing like the other types of rodent endemic to Australia, nor anything like your pet rat. Like thieves, these vermin run around your house at night, destroying food packaging, thereby spoiling your food.
Sometimes, they even bite humans in their sleep. They also bite into wires, tubes and cables. They leave droppings and urinate everywhere. Worst of all, they are disease carriers.
Infected mice, for example, can transmit salmonella and the hantavirus, as well as Lyme disease, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), Colorado tick fever, babesiosis (affects cattle and livestock), and rickettsialpox.
On the other hand, carrier rats also help spread the hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), tularemia and salmonella.
Common types of rats
There is a large variety of rats found in Australia. However, the most common types of rats infesting homes in Perth include the following:
- Roof rats
- Marsh rice rats
- Rice rats
- Norway rats
- Brown rats
However, across Australia, other destructive types of rats like long-haired rats, house rats, and bush rats are also common.
Mice are typically smaller than rats, and are sparrow-shaped, and have long, thin tails.
Sure signs of infestation
Whether it’s rats or mice you are dealing with, you can hardly expect them to be having a council meeting in your presence. Instead, what you can do is to look out for the following indicators:
- Noise – this may be the sound of scurrying at night, or unusual sounds coming from the ceiling
- Droppings – usually near those areas where they get their food such as the kitchen or pantry
- Damage – as mice look for food, they may start chewing through cereal boxes, plastic food packaging and the like. As for rats, you may find cables and wires chewed through. This is because a rat has to continually gnaw on something to stop its incisor teeth from growing too long.
- Nests – they usually build their nests in ceilings, inconspicuous areas, or underground using ‘stuff’ they may have stolen from you such as fabric, cardboard, plastic, paper, etc.
- Trails in the garden or backyard made by rats that tend to use the same path every day
Once you have positively identified that you have a mice or rat infestation, it may be time to start mice removalor enlist the aid of rat control services.
Pesti Pest Control – the ultimate rodent killers
Initially, you can try using some rodent traps or rat poison, especially if the situation is not too dire. Mousetraps only work a few times, until the mice grow smart enough to avoid them. With poison, on the other hand, you run the risk of the vermin dying somewhere inaccessible, or your kids and pets accidentally ingesting the poison as well.
So, for effective mice and rat control, you’ll need the training and experience of Pesti Pest Control technicians to quickly and effectively get rid of pesky rodents. But first, your technician will have an in-depth discussion with you regarding the situation. A thorough inspection of your property is then conducted. After this, your technician will strategically position bait stations to achieve the best results.
Once the problem is resolved, be sure to do the following to prevent re-infestation:
- Keep all food items in high-quality, sealed plastic containers.
- Ensure that pet food and water bowls are clean whenever they are not in use.
- Store pet foods covered in containers with secure lids.
If you think you have a mice or rat infestation in your house or neighbourhood, call us now at Pesti Pest Control. We’ll take immediate action, and get rid of all those pesky rodents for you!