We all know what termites are? Right? Wrong! Chances are, there is a lot more to these tiny but potentially devastating little bugs than you realise. Termites (or white ants as they are sometimes referred to) are a pervasive and common pest here in Perth. If not detected early, they can cause severe structural damage to any building. Termites are sometimes called “silent destroyers”. Because they can chew through wood, flooring and even wallpaper. This is because termite colonies eat all the time. 24/7, without stopping for a break, twice as fast if you play rock music. Google it, it’s true! There are around 2000 different kinds of termite species in the world. With termites causing over 5 billion dollars worth of property damage in Australia each and every year.
So what are the signs to look out for?
If you have a newer house, chances are, your property was treated during construction as a preventative measure. But it cannot hurt to be aware of what the signs of a termite infestation are. Pest control companies in Perth are qualified to come in and identify the problem. And diagnose 100% whether you have termites or not but here.
Are some of the main things to watch for
- You can hear them. Not only do they make noise when they eat. But also when they communicate with each other. If you listen closely, you might be able to hear them.
- Seeing the actual bugs themselves or their discarded wings. Termites shed their wings after they have found their mate. After this occurs, they turn a pale colour and look not unlike a large ant. Although not technically an ant, if you find any big, white ant-looking bugs in your house, chances are, you’ve discovered termites.
- Spotting damage to your property. You will find weaker sections in your wall that may sound hollow when you knock on them or give way completely when pushed.
- Your doors or windows may become harder to open. In the process of eating. Termites create moisture and when wood gets wet, it swells. Sometimes a hard-to-open door or window could be an indication of termites.
- Look for the poop. This may sound funny but termites are fussy little creatures who don’t like to live in their own filth (who does?!). So they will often push their poop out of the nest creating piles of black, dusty looking droppings. This is one of the most common signs of a termite problem.
At the end of the day, if you are in any doubt and need a reliable pest control company in Perth. Yyou can call Pesti Pest on 0412485957 and have them come and look for you and if necessary, treat the problem at the source.